Call For A Consultation

When Can Child Support be Modified?

In Georgia, a parent may seek modification of child support whenever there is a drastic change in income or the needs of the children involved. For example, if the parent that pays child support recently received a substantial change in his or her annual salary, modification may be an option (wither to increase or decrease monthly child support payments).

Parents that wish to modify their child support payments need to file what is called a "modification action". This action can be filed anytime after a divorce or during the initial final order of support. Once a parent has filed a modification action, he or she may not file again until two years of passed from the previous final order on modification. This time limit remains in place whether the child support payments were changed or not.

Are you thinking about having your child support payments modified in Gwinnett County? Contact the Law Office of Douglas N. Fox to consult with a Gwinnett County family lawyer now!

Related Posts
  • Georgia Divorce: What to do When a Spouse Drains Bank or Financial Accounts Read More
  • Helping Children Deal with Divorce During the Holidays Read More
  • Same-Sex Marriage Legalized Nationwide by US Supreme Court Decision Read More