Gwinnett County Drug Possession Attorney
Experienced Defenses Against Drug Possession Charges in Georgia
Drug possession is a serious crime in Georgia. If you are convicted, you could face jail time, fines, and a criminal record that will likely follow you for the rest of your life. At Fox Firm, P.C., we have the experience and knowledge to help you fight these charges. Our Gwinnett County drug possession lawyers are committed to delivering you the aggressive legal representation you need and deserve.
Call Fox Firm, P.C. today at (770) 884-7469 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug possession lawyer in Gwinnett County.
What is Drug Possession?
Drug possession refers to the action of having illegal substances or controlled substances in one's possession, custody, or control without proper authorization. These substances can range from common street drugs like marijuana, cocaine, and methamphetamine to prescription medications that are not legally obtained.
In Georgia, drug possession is categorized into two main types:
- Simple Possession: This occurs when an individual is found in possession of a controlled substance for personal use. The penalties for simple possession may vary depending on the type and quantity of the drug.
- Possession with Intent to Distribute: When law enforcement believes that the individual possessed the drugs with the intention to sell or distribute them, the charges become more severe. The penalties for this type of possession are generally more severe than those for simple possession.
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession in Georgia?
The consequences of drug possession in Georgia can be severe, with potential penalties including fines, probation, and imprisonment. The specific penalties you may face depend on various factors, such as the type of drug involved, the amount in your possession, and your prior criminal history. A general overview of the penalties for drug possession in Georgia:
- Fines: Fines may range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on the type and amount of drugs involved.
- Probation: The court may sentence you to probation, during which you must adhere to specific conditions such as regular drug testing, mandatory counseling, or community service.
- Imprisonment: For simple possession, the prison sentence can range from a few months to a few years. In cases of possession with intent to distribute, the sentences can be much more severe, leading to years in prison.
- Criminal Record: Convictions for drug possession may result in a permanent criminal record, which can have a long-lasting impact on your future, including difficulty finding employment or housing.
Defenses Against Drug Possession Charges
Some common defenses against drug possession charges may include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If the evidence against you was received through an unlawful search and seizure, it may be possible to suppress it in court.
- Lack of Knowledge: You may not have been aware that the drugs were in your possession or control, which could be a valid defense.
- Prescription Medication: If you had a valid prescription for the drugs in question, you may have a defense against possession charges.
- Fourth Amendment Violation: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights during the arrest, it could lead to a dismissal of charges.
- Chain of Custody Issues: Proving the authenticity and integrity of the evidence is crucial. Chain of custody issues can cast doubt on the evidence's reliability.
- Illegal Arrest: If the police did not have probable cause to arrest you, we can challenge the legality of your arrest.
Contact Our Drug Possession Lawyer in Gwinnett County Today
At Fox Firm, P.C., our Gwinnett County drug possession attorney is prepared to fight for your rights and the best possible outcome in your case. We will investigate the details of your case, explore potential defenses, and work tirelessly to minimize the impact of drug possession charges on your life. Don't face drug possession charges alone. Contact Fox Firm, P.C. today to schedule a consultation and build a powerful defense for your case. Your future is worth protecting, and we are here to help you navigate the legal process with confidence and determination.
Contact Fox Firm, P.C. today to get started with our Gwinnett County drug possession attorney.
Personal Attention to Every Client
Boutique Law Firm Service
Highly Recommended by Past Clients
Helping Clients Since 1995
"If you are looking for an attorney that is extremely proficient, pays great attention to detail, is able to help separate emotions from the logics of the case, and an attorney with excellent communication skills then I recommend you contact Doug of The Fox"Arthur S.
"Very knowledgeable, helpful, and encouraging."Jennifer M.
"He is very honest, reliable and passionate about his clients and his work."Gerald B.
"There is no one else I would trust more in this situation than Doug and Katherine at Fox Firm."Kelly D.
"Will have your back to the very end. "Gabe G.