Lawrenceville Family Law Attorney
Legal Separation in Gwinnett County, Georgia
Unlike divorce, a legal separation does not put an end to a marriage. During a legal separation, you will have a court order that outlines the rights and responsibilities of you and your spouse while living apart. You will remain legally married while you choose to live separate lives. If you interested in a legal separation from your spouse, it is very important to retain the services of an experienced attorney. A Lawrenceville family law attorney at Fox Firm, P.C. can address issues such as: division of assets and debts,
child custody and
child support, visitation schedules and spousal support.
A legal separation will also serve to protect your interests until a decision is made as to whether or not to file for divorce. The separation agreement will set forth guidelines for the divorce that may follow. If a divorce occurs, these guidelines will most likely carry over to the divorce settlement. For that reason, it is important that you hire a lawyer that can help assist you in coming to a legal separation agreement so that you are happy in the long term.
Some advantages of obtaining a legal separation instead of a divorce are:
- It will allow you time apart from your spouse and away from the conflict of marriage to decide if divorce is what you truly want.
- It allows you to keep medical benefits along with other benefits.
- You can retain your marital status for religious beliefs.
- If you are a military spouse you can take advantage of benefits set up by the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act if you remain married for at least 10 years.
- Remaining married for 10 years or more will allow you to take advantage of certain social security benefits.
- You will be allowed to file taxes jointly even though you are legally separated, which will result in positive tax benefits for both you and your spouse.
Knowledgeable Georgia Family Law Attorney
A Lawrenceville family law attorney at Fox Firm, P.C. is very knowledgeable when it comes to legal separation issues. They will explain the legal process of separation to you and all of the benefits and risks it may bring. If you decide to divorce after legally separating, they will make sure that your rights are fully protected and that the best outcome for your future is achieved. Contact their office located in Lawrenceville, Georgia today to discuss your legal separation case.
Interested in obtaining a legal separation in Lawrenceville, Georgia? Contact the firm today!